Steve Grewal, the Education Department's chief information security officer, joined Federal News Radio on March 6, 2014, for an online chat.
Grewal answered questions about his agency's new security operations center (SOC), the cyber workforce, and challenges with security at the agency. View an archived version of the chat.
Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Ask the CIO
Spires spreads DHS's data center experience to rest of government
Thursday - 12/2/2010, 12:06pm EST
Luckily for Spires, both positions play to his strengths as a technologist and as a manager.
Spires joined DHS just over a year ago as the agency was in the middle of a data center consolidation effort, moving from as many as 24 to 2. Spires applied many of DHS's lessons learned and best practices to the government-wide effort.
He said the need for a standard definition of a data center was one of the first things both DHS and the government as a whole had to do.
DHS also participated heavily in the CIO Council advisory board, which looked at agency data center consolidation plans and offered suggestions.
Along with the data center consolidation work, Spires has focused on improving the governance and project management at DHS. He reviewed all 82 major IT programs and found areas, such as the multiple common operating pictures components use, for consolidation.
And finally, Spires will mandate employees use their secure identity cards to log-on to their computers starting at headquarters later this year.