Steve Grewal, the Education Department's chief information security officer, joined Federal News Radio on March 6, 2014, for an online chat.
Grewal answered questions about his agency's new security operations center (SOC), the cyber workforce, and challenges with security at the agency. View an archived version of the chat.
Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Ask the CIO
Gwinn pushing to understand Farm Service Agency's business needs
Wednesday - 10/6/2010, 1:57pm EDT
Gwinn has been CIO for about 18 months and is enjoying his first foray into government service.
He said he is taking a mission-first approach to upgrading FSA's technology. In fact, Gwinn is sending teams of software developers to county offices to understand the field's requirements and to get a better understanding of the environments they work in.
He said it's a part of a bureau-wide listening tour to better serve county offices, farmers and producers.
FSA, which had an IT budget of about $377 million in 2010, has several ongoing technology projects.
Gwinn said an effort to modernize FSA's geospatial systems is close to completion, while the agency and its contractor could begin work on the MIDAS financial modernization system effort in 2011.