Shows & Panels
- Accelerate and Streamline for Better Customer Service
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Client Virtualization Solutions
- Data Protection in a Virtual World
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Feds in the Cloud
- Health IT: A Policy Change Agent
- Improving Healthcare Outcomes through IT Policy
- IT Innovation in the New Era of Government
- Making Dollars And Sense Out of Data Center Consolidation
- Navigating the Private Cloud
- One Step to the Cloud, Two Steps Toward Innovation
- Path to FDCCI Compliance
- Take Command of Your Mobility Initiative
Shows & Panels
VA's Baker revels in job to turnaround IT processes
Tuesday - 9/28/2010, 4:34pm EDT
He has spent much of the past year trying to corral hundreds of technology projects, many of which were in trouble. Baker said now about 81 percent of the 100 or so projects meet their milestones on time. This is up from an estimated 33 percent previously.
Baker also said all technology projects are focused on 6-month deliverables, which are tracked on a dashboard on a daily basis.
All of this has led to a major culture change inside VA. Baker said project managers, the CIO's office and the business process owners all understand their role in the VA's accountability structure.
Now that the IT projects are under control, Baker said he continues to focus on cybersecurity and by the end of September will have software that shows the health of the network down to the desktop level.