Steve Grewal, the Education Department's chief information security officer, joined Federal News Radio on March 6, 2014, for an online chat.
Grewal answered questions about his agency's new security operations center (SOC), the cyber workforce, and challenges with security at the agency. View an archived version of the chat.
Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Ask the CIO
Alboum gets moving with technology to help solve problems at the Food and Nutrition Service
Wednesday - 7/7/2010, 2:36pm EDT
Alboum, the chief information officer of the Agriculture Department's Food and Nutrition Service is playing a big role in the Apps for Healthy Kids program, co-sponsored by the federal chief technology officer Aneesh Chopra.
But FNS's part in the effort is just one of several priorities for Alboum over the next year.
He is responsible for system upgrades supporting several large benefit programs, including adding GIS functionality to the fraud detection system used to monitor Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) transactions. The new software will improve how FNS ensures the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is not victim to waste, fraud or abuse.
And all of these are part of a broader priority to meet his internal customers needs with technology so they can meet the bureau's mission.
Alboum says if his office can prove to the rest of FNS that IT provides good service during a time of need, such as when their computer is down, they will not be hesitant to work with the CIO's office during a time of mission need.