Steve Grewal, the Education Department's chief information security officer, joined Federal News Radio on March 6, 2014, for an online chat.
Grewal answered questions about his agency's new security operations center (SOC), the cyber workforce, and challenges with security at the agency. View an archived version of the chat.
Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Department of Veterans Affairs
Wednesday - 7/23/2008, 10:36am EDT
The Veterans Affairs Department is one of the few agencies that still develops much of its own software.
In the past two years, VA consolidated all of its development work under one office.
Dr. Paul Tibbits, VA's Deputy Chief Information Officer for Enterprise Development, leads that group.
Tibbits says this unified approach has pushed VA into a better position to implement standards, move to a service-oriented architecture and use common tools for development.
He also says the consolidation might have had a bigger impact at the VA in terms of accountability.
Tibbits says it is now clearer than ever who is in charge of each project and what the cost and schedule is suppose to be. As a result, there is an integrated set of priorities to implement software.
VA is working on several large programs from HealtheVet to its news financial and logistics system called FLITE. Tibbits' office is trying to keep these on track.