Steve Grewal, the Education Department's chief information security officer, joined Federal News Radio on March 6, 2014, for an online chat.
Grewal answered questions about his agency's new security operations center (SOC), the cyber workforce, and challenges with security at the agency. View an archived version of the chat.
Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Ask the CIO
Vance Hitch - Dept. of Justice, CIO
Tuesday - 2/8/2005, 6:13am EST
- Progress of the department's Law Enforcement Information Sharing Program
- Sharing information between federal, state and local agencies
- Future of the IT workforce
- Lessons learned from FBI's Carnivore System
- Congress' role in IT security
Vance Hitch has served as the Chief Information Officer of the Department of Justice since April 2002. He is responsible for leading and implementing the effective and efficient acquisition and management of information technology across the Department. He manages the Department's $2.1 billion information technology program, overseeing management, acquisition, and integration of the Department's information resources. His oversight includes strategic planning, policy, capital planning, systems development, telecommunications, information security data management, enterprise architecture, e-government, and user computing.
Prior to coming to the Department of Justice, Hitch was a Senior Partner with Accenture. He has 28 years of experience in leading government organizations successfully through major change initiatives. His recent projects at Accenture included the development of the IT Strategic Plan for the State of Maryland and a comprehensive re-engineering and automation of the City of Philadelphia's Records Department. Other government organizations that Hitch has worked with include the Department of State, the National Security Agency, the Central Intelligence Agency, the Department of Defense, the Department of Justice, and multiple state and local governments.
Hitch earned a Masters of Systems Management from George Washington University in 1973 and a Bachelor of Science in Physics from Muhlenberg College in 1967. He served in the United States Navy from 1969 -1973, attaining the rank of lieutenant. (Courtesy of the Department of Justice)