Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Information Technology News
Hawkins nominated to be new DISA director
Monday - 10/31/2011, 7:39am EDT
Federal News Radio
Defense Secretary Leon Panetta announced Air Force Maj. Gen. Ronnie Hawkins has been nominated to be the next director of the Defense Information Systems Agency, according to a DoD release.
Maj. Gen. Ronnie Hawkins. (Photo: af.mil)
Hawkins, who now serves as the Joint Staff's deputy director for C4 — short for command, control, communications and computer systems — will take over for current DISA director Lt. Gen. Carroll Pollett.
Hawkins' nomination represents a homecoming of sorts — before being named to his position on the Joint Staff just this summer, Hawkins served as DISA's vice director under Pollett and played a lead role in the agency's enterprise email efforts.
He notably said convincing the Navy and Air Force to transition to DISA's cloud-based email system — as the Army is now in the process of doing — was a matter of when, not if.
"We're in those negotiations with all of [the services] right now. The 'ifs' are contingent on the pricing and the delivery of the capability," he said.
The personnel announcement came in a DoD General Officer Announcement. Hawkins has also been nominated to the rank of lieutenant general.