Shows & Panels
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Connected Government
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Cyber Imperative
- Cyber Solutions for 2013 and Beyond
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- The Real Deal on Digital Government
- The Reality of Continuous Monitoring... Is Your Agency Secure?
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
Top 10 cloud computing lessons
Monday - 11/14/2011, 5:48pm EST
Yogesh Khanna, the chief technology officer of CSC's North American Public Sector, has compiled his list of top 10 lessons learned.
Khanna writes in Envision Gov IT:
- Focus on selecting and migrating workloads into the right cloud, the right way.
- Know what you have in your enterprise, including apps, middleware and infrastructure.
- Analyze how to consolidate and optimize your data center infrastructure and apps.
- Build a risk profile for each of your workloads and map them on a risk spectrum. Consider placing citizen-facing apps in clouds; however, keep classified and mission-critical, strategic-business-unit data in private, perhaps virtualized environments.
- Identify transformation champions within your organization.
- Demand enterprise-class SLAs.
- Look for service providers that give you easy on- and off-ramps to clouds.
- Roll up your sleeves and collaborate with Industry to address procurement-process challenges.
- Address the likely impact of clouds on your organization from the very beginning. Specifically, focus on improving governance, filling skill gaps, and adapting business processes. Evaluate the role of your IT organization in delivering and managing cloud services to your employees or customers.
- Take a structured approach to change management.