Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- Government Perspectives on Mobility and the Cloud
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Reimagining the Next Generation of Government
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
How to manage a successful enterprise IT project: CADE2
Tuesday - 5/14/2013, 10:41pm EDT
How about some good news?
Today we have a success story from a well-known agency, the Internal Revenue Service.
Terry Milholland is the CIO of the IRS and he tells the story of a failed project that was brought back to life.
For fifty years the IRS used a very accurate system that was slow.
Congress decided to remedy the situation by instituting some reforms via the Internal Revenue Restructuring Reform Act of 1998.
The Customer Account Data Engine was the result of that initiative and by 2004 it was seriously behind schedule.
In 2008, the IRS looked for a person with experience in enterprise portfolio management.
Terry Milholland had worked on massive projects at Boeing and Visa and decided to accept the challenge.
The results are amazing: he helped the IRS increase electronic tax filings by 400%.
Today, almost 78% of tax returns are processed electronically, increasing accuracy and speeding the time to return checks to citizens.
During the interview you will hear the key to success in large projects, deciding between in house and out sourcing management, and how to structure portfolios for growth and change.