Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
VA's Baker revels in job to turnaround IT processes
Tuesday - 9/28/2010, 4:34pm EDT
He has spent much of the past year trying to corral hundreds of technology projects, many of which were in trouble. Baker said now about 81 percent of the 100 or so projects meet their milestones on time. This is up from an estimated 33 percent previously.
Baker also said all technology projects are focused on 6-month deliverables, which are tracked on a dashboard on a daily basis.
All of this has led to a major culture change inside VA. Baker said project managers, the CIO's office and the business process owners all understand their role in the VA's accountability structure.
Now that the IT projects are under control, Baker said he continues to focus on cybersecurity and by the end of September will have software that shows the health of the network down to the desktop level.