Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
How to Jumpstart Your Desktop Virtualization Initiative
Monday - 5/31/2010, 10:42pm EDT
According to Forester, desktop virtualization is no longer a trend; it's the future of the PC. The question now facing federal IT managers is no longer whether or not to virtualization, but which approach best accommodates both end-users' demands and IT's need for greater manageability and security. Federal agencies are already reaping the benefits of desktop virtualization, effectively delivering anytime, anywhere computing to an increasingly mobile and distant workforce. They're significantly reducing TCO, lowering energy consumption to sustain Green IT initiatives, creating a more agile infrastructure and opening the way for cloud computing. But for many the explosion of new virtualization technologies seems overwhelming. How do you make sense of the changing desktop landscape, and arrive at a solution that boosts workforce productivity while improving management efficiencies? Where do you get started?
Tune into this panel to hear experts from GTSI, HP, Microsoft, and Citrix explore the growing movement from static, physical PCs to dynamic virtualized desktops - and how you can get your initiative on the road to success. You'll learn:
- Current trends in desktop virtualization in the federal government
- Best practices in virtualization technologies
- Essential steps in optimizing your desktop
- Strategies that simplify management, lower costs, and empower workforces
Susie Adams - Technology Officer, Microsoft Federal
Miguel Sian - Senior Enterprise Solutions Consultant, GTSI
David Smith - Chief Technology Officer, Citrix Federal
Dennis Tolliver - ISS/Blade Specialist, Enterprise Servers, Storage, and Networking Group, Hewlett Packard
Moderator: Tom Temin
About the Panel:
Chief Technology Officer
Senior Enterprise Solutions Consultant
Chief Technology Officer
David Smith brings more than twelve years of engineering and management experience to Citrix, and is the CTO of Citrix Federal. David has worked with government customers to implement Citrix application delivery solutions in support of their continuity of operations, information security, green IT, and telework initiatives. David is a regular speaker at industry events and is a spokesperson around technology initiatives such as Data Center Virtualization, Network Optimization, Disaster Recovery, Telework, Cloud Computing, Thin Client, and IT Consolidation.
Prior to Citrix, David worked in the NASA Software Assurance Technology Center leading efforts to improve the security and reliability of applications developed for NASA programs.
David has a Bachelors of Science in Computer Science from Loyola College in Maryland.
Enterprise Servers, Storage, and Networking Group
Dennis is an Industry Standard Server Specialist employed with HP for the past 19 years. He has 33 years of Information Technology experience. He came to HP via the Compaq merger in 2002 and is now concentrating on Cloud Computing using the HP Converged Infrastructure Architecture. Presenting and explaining the latest technology trends to the IT community is his passion. He is a graduate of the University of Maryland with a degree in Computer Information Science, and resides in the Washington DC area.