Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Borras elevated to acting deputy secretary at DHS
Thursday - 9/26/2013, 7:55pm EDT
An administration official confirmed the White House designated Borras yesterday. Borras moves to acting deputy secretary after serving the last three-plus years as the DHS undersecretary for management. He takes over for Rand Beers, who became acting deputy secretary after Jane Holl Lute stepped down in May.
President Barack Obama's nominee for deputy secretary, Alexander Mayorkas, is awaiting Senate confirmation. Mayorkas is under pressure from some members of the Senate and faces an internal watchdog investigation over his actions as commissioner of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
DHS now has an acting secretary, Beers, and a deputy secretary. In fact, 10 of the top 12 DHS leadership positions are held by acting officials.
Chris Cumminskey, the deputy undersecretary for management, will become acting undersecretary for management with Borras's promotion. As undersecretary of management, Borras has focused his attention on bringing the agency closer together and chipping away at the silos that have built up over the last decade.
He said in a September 2012 interview that DHS is a more interdependent organization, which increased its chances of success and reduced its risk.
His major accomplishments include instituting a program performance and risk assessment approach, creating a roadmap to consolidate financial management systems and trying to address workforce morale issues.
DHS continues to struggle with acquisition coordination and oversight, but Borras recently told Congress each component will have an acquisition executive to improve contracting oversight.