Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
2012 Causey Awards Winner - Laura Williams
Monday - 7/16/2012, 5:50am EDT
eDiplomacy Liaison Officer
FROM HER NOMINATION:
Laura Williams has been a leader in advocating for users' interests and improving staffing of IT positions. She is a key contributor to developing the cutting-edge work of the office in advancing diplomacy by providing effective knowledge-sharing initiatives, guidance on the convergence of technology and diplomacy, and first-class technology consulting.
As a a mid-level officer, she organized and executed a global workforce survey,
requiring State Department IT staff worldwide to take a hard look at the work
activities, staff structure and skills required to meet the department's future
strategies. The speed with which the survey was created, approved and the
participation rate - more than 50 percent of all department direct-hire American
IT staff overseas, with significant participation at 55 percent of all posts -
IN HER OWN WORDS:
Laura Williams tells Federal News Radio why she doesn't sit in the back row and just keep quiet.
Want to hear more from Laura Williams? Listen to our full radio interview with the Causey Award winner in the "Listen" box above.
GET TO KNOW THE AWARD WINNER:
- My job title is Foreign Service Specialist/Information Management
Specialist My job title should be I think the title is fine. … I'm not much
- What is the best piece of advice you have ever received? Don't be
afraid of taking a position/job opportunity outside "the well worn path." Consider the skills you might gain by taking the job and consider how the position
might expand your portfolio/vision/set of experiences.
- What is the worst piece of advice you have ever received? Sit in the
back row and keep quiet.
- Who has been your biggest role model, and why? Colin Powell. Powell's
leadership principles need no introduction. I was a fan before he became Secretary
of State. But his leadership at State (and his emphasis on technology as a tool of
diplomacy) turned me into a huge fan! It's extremely difficult to be the nation's
top diplomat AND an excellent leader for the employees in the trenches - but
Powell accomplished that. Secretary Clinton has done a fine job in both roles as
well - and she also "gets technology."
- If I could do it over again, I would have been a more focused student
in college. The students I have come to know through my recruitment and mentoring
efforts are so impressive!
- If I could have one super power it would be time travel. Seems like
that would be the ultimate way to be a tourist/life learner. To witness history
and the future first hand and NOT have to travel on US Airways to do it!
Williams in studio with Mike Causey.
- In my opinion, ....
- If you didn't work for the federal government, what would be your dream
job? Travel review - spa treatments, safaris, eat in exotic locales … get
paid to check out the scene and have fun writing about it.
- What is the last book you read? I just read "Goodnight Gorilla" to my
son, but I also recently read Powell's new book "It Worked for Me." … I highly
- I'd rather be scuba diving or hanging out in the Italian countryside.
Federal News Radio awarded six individuals with a 2012 Causey Award. Read more about each of the recipients.