Shows & Panels
Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- American Readiness: Renewable Power and Efficiency Technologies
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Delivering the Digital Government Mission
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal News Radio's National Cyber Security Awareness Month Special Panel Discussion
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- Government Perspectives on Mobility and the Cloud
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- The New Generation of Database
- Reimagining the Next Generation of Government
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
2012 Causey Awards Winner - Stephen Shih
Monday - 7/16/2012, 5:24am EDT
Deputy Associate Director
Executive Resources &
FROM HIS NOMINATION:
In January, OPM issued the new SES performance appraisal system which will meet the SES performance management needs of all agencies and their SES employees, marking a key accomplishment and milestone resulting from Stephen Shih's leadership of a workgroup coordinated by OPM and OMB.
The system will improve governmentwide performance management of the SES by providing a consistent and uniform framework for agencies to communicate expectations and evaluate the performance of SES members, particularly centering on the role and responsibility of SES employees to provide executive leadership. The new system will also provide the necessary flexibility and capability for appropriate customization to better meet the needs of all agencies and other federal organizations.
IN HIS OWN WORDS:
Stephen Shih tells Federal News Radio how a new performance management approach will foster greater mobility within the SES.
Want to hear more from Stephen Shih? Listen to our full radio interview with the Causey Award winner in the "Listen" box above.
GET TO KNOW THE AWARD WINNER:
- My job title is Deputy Associate Director, Executive Resources and Employee Development. My job title should be shorter!
- What is the best piece of advice you have ever received? The best piece of advice I have ever received is to always try to figure out where you're trying to go, where you are, and how to get from where you are to where you are trying to go.
- What is the worst piece of advice you have ever received? The worst piece of advice I have ever received is to focus only on "winning" because nothing else matters.
- Who has been your biggest role model, and why? My parents are my biggest role models because they exemplify the type of integrity, morality, honor, work ethic, and character to which I aspire.
- If I could do it over again, I would do it better and enjoy it more.
- If I could have one super power it would be the power to cure diseases - this would allow me to alleviate human suffering and would also probably enable me to become a doctor despite not being able to otherwise make it through medical school.
- In my opinion, all opinions should matter.
- If you didn't work for the federal government, what would be your dream job? If I didn't work for the federal government, my dream job would be to work for the federal government! Or I would be a teacher, a professional sports coach, a travel book writer, or a cooking contest judge.
- What is the last book you read? I don't remember when I last had enough time to get through an entire book!
- I'd rather be wherever I decide to be.
Federal News Radio awarded six individuals with a 2012 Causey Award. Read more about each of the recipients.