Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
OPM hiring reforms aim to improve applicant experience
Tuesday - 3/1/2011, 7:35pm EST
Federal News Radio
The Office of Personnel Management says it has succeeded in providing agencies with the help they need to meet President Barack Obama's mandate to reform the federal hiring process.
Citizens who apply for jobs now will be matched with similar job options they are qualified for and notified in key steps of the application process said Rob Shriver, senior legal counsel to the Hiring Team in a video on OPM's website.
OPM has made many changes to the system including the use of a blog to connect human resources professionals. OPM also is pushing to involve hiring managers from the beginning of the application process.
In order to help agencies implement the changes effectively, OPM has set up Mobile Assistance Teamsto work directly with the agencies.
Last May, President Obama announced these hiring system changes:
- Pathways for students and recent graduates
- Elimination of written essays (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities or KSAs)
- Resume and cover letter
- Category rating
- Manager accountability and involvement
- Quality and speed of hiring
- Applicant notification
OPM also is offering a variety of hiring reform workshops to facilitate the process.
John Buckner is an intern with Federal News Radio.
(Copyright 2011 by FederalNewsRadio.com. All Rights Reserved.)