Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Holiday Tribute To Early G-Man
Friday - 10/7/2011, 1:19pm EDT
His mission: Find a shortcut to China and India. So in a sense, he blew it.
But it turned out okay. Most of us who are here today arrived sometime after 1492. Some shortly after, others maybe as recently as this week. But here we are. And this is a federal holiday. For some.
If you work for a bank you are probably off today. If you work for the government there is a good chance you are off today. But not everybody. Since the attacks on New York and D.C. in 9/11, and because of foiled plots elsewhere, America has been on high alert.
Large numbers of government workers (and members of the uniformed services) are on the job today. Government has been a 24/7 operation that many of us take for granted. We don't know where most people are but chances are we would know it if they weren't on duty.
They are not taking the day off so most of us can. So if you are on holiday, enjoy yourself. Spend money. Merchants in your community will thank you.
And if you are working today, thanks. We may not know who you are, what you are doing and where you are doing it. But at least a lot of us know what we don't know, which is a start. So thanks!!
NEARLY USELESS FACTOID
By Jolie Lee
Where are Christopher Columbus' remains? According to the Discovery Channel, "Preliminary analysis suggests that Christopher Columbus might be buried in the Gothic cathedral of Santa Maria in Seville, the city from where he set sail in 1492, rather than under a cross-shaped lighthouse in Santo Domingo, where he made his historic landfall in the New World." The debate started in 1877 with a box containing bone fragments and the inscription "illustrious and enlightened male Don Cristobal Colon."
MORE FROM FEDERAL NEWS RADIO
GAO: Agencies need more policing of contractors
GAO analyzed five years' worth of government contracts. It found that only a handful of agencies effectively sanction contractors by either suspending or disbarring them from receiving future government business.
White House sets new cybersecurity safeguards
The White House is taking new steps to safeguard classified information and protect government computer networks against unauthorized disclosures such as last year's release of thousands of pages of secret documents by the website WikiLeaks.
OMB expands data center consolidation definition, savings
Federal CIO Steven Van Roekel said the Office of Management and Budget now estimates to save millions of dollars more from data center consolidation, through an expanded definition of the facilities and an amplified goal.