Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Honk if You Are Alive!
Friday - 9/3/2010, 4:00am EDT
Here's the deal. I could use your help to win a bet with my editor. That would be Suzanne Kubota aka "She Who Must Be Obeyed!"
But I digress.
As a reward for years of loyal service, she gets to edit this column. She has said (not exactly out loud, but I'm good at interpreting body language) that it is so much fun, so entertaining and so educational, that she would do it for nothing. Which, given our budget here, is not a bad thing.
But though we see eye-to-eye on many things, we naturally have disagreements. Like now.
This being the long Labor Day weekend, Suzanne said there probably won't be many readers today, or Monday. Makes sense. Last trip to the beach or mountains. Last lap at many community pools. Last hurrah of summer.
I agree this is a slow time in the news biz. But we disagree on numbers. She said we would be lucky to have 35 readers today and Monday. I am stunned and somewhat hurt by that number. Ever the optimist I'm guessing we will have at least 40. Think of the IRS, FAA, DHS, CBP, NPS, Weather Service, and VA folks who are 24/7.
Fifty or more during the dog days of summer might get us a raise (although probably not.)
To that end we both (but me especially) would like to hear from you today and or Monday. Or both. All you need do is click on a category that closest matches your status Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday. They are:
Whatever your status, please shoot me an e-mail. You can simply say A, B, C, D or E. Better yet if you are at work, what are you doing and where? Can we use your name?
Let the chips fall where they may: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nearly Useless Factoid
by Suzanne Kubota
Using a computer simulation, mathematician Jon McLoone, according to MentalFloss, has uncovered that the hardest word to guess in the game of hangman is "jazz."
MORE PAY AND BENEFITS NEWS
TSP returns for August disappointing
Among the other headlines this morning on the Friday Morning Federal Newscast: Army HQ plan approved for Alexandria, DC drivers are bad: media alerted. Learn more from the Morning Federal Newscast by clicking here.