Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Don't Worry, Be Happy
Friday - 10/10/2008, 12:26pm EDT
Because it is a federal holiday, most government offices will be closed although tens of thousands of federal and postal people are on the job today. Banks will be closed today because they have to be.
But for many other workers this is a non-holiday. For people in retail, who work in restaurants, movie theaters, parking lots, this is an important work day.
Working round the clock, weekends and holidays, has long been a routine for feds who work in VA and Public Health Service hospitals, law enforcement, immigration and border patrol. And in the intelligence community.
But since the attacks of 9/11, and those in London, Madrid and all over the Middle East, many more people find themselves working on days when most people aren't.
So if it is appropriate, and you are working today (as we are), thanks and well done. If you are off, enjoy yourself. Ignore the market news and remember that there is a pay raise coming in January for nonpostal feds, and a cost of living adjustment coming in January. For more on that, click here.
Also, there is the potential for a bonus holiday on Friday, Dec. 26, the day AFTER Christmas. It's up to the president to decide, but based on past practice, it has a good shot. For the background on that nonholiday holiday, click here.
Nearly Useless Factoid
This is the International Year of the Potato. According to the IYP website, boiling is the most common method of potato preparation worldwide.
To reach me: firstname.lastname@example.org