Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Mondays, 10:00 a.m.
Presenters from the National Institute of Transition Planning, the federal leader in retirement planning seminars, take your calls and emails every Monday. Each week, the show focuses on a specific area of retirement planning from financial security, taxes, federal benefits and estate planning, to life after retirement and the latest rumors. Email your questions or call the show live at 202-465-3080.
Automatic enrollment in TSP begins
Tuesday - 8/31/2010, 8:05pm EDT
This program originally aired on August 2, 2010
Automatic enrollment in the Thrift Savings Plan has officially begun. Any federal employee hired as of August 1, 2010 will be automatically enrolled in the TSP, the federal government's 401k plan.
Greg Long, executive director of the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board and Tom Trabucco, director of external affairs, spoke about the change on today's For Your Benefit program hosted by Bob Leins and Tammy Flanagan.
All new hires will be enrolled in the TSP's G Fund at a three percent contribution rate.
"For every new participant we send a welcome letter. And for everyone who is automatically enrolled, it will be a customized welcome letter letting them know the phone numbers, the website address, and some basic material about the TSP and how to use it," Long says.
New TSP participants unsure of how to manage their funds or what funds they should invest in, are urged to look at the L Funds.
"The message we deliver to our participants is if you don't have the time, if you don't feel comfortable making the decisions of which baskets, which funds, you want to put your eggs in, and then on an ongoing basis figure out how many eggs in each basket and how to move that over time, the way we've responded to that is to create the Lifecycle Funds, the L Funds. Figure out which year you're going to need the money and that's the fund which is most likely appropriate for you," Long says.
Long reminds investors they can go online to the revamped TSP website, TSP.gov, to manage their funds. While participants must log-in to the site to see their personal TSP accounts, access to the latest return rates and educational materials on the TSP are available to anyone without a log-in.
EDITOR'S NOTE: During the show, the lockbox loan payment feature is discussed. Please note that the lockbox loan payment feature is available to participants who enter non-pay status or those who are activated for military service. It is not available to those who simply separate from federal service with an outstanding loan. Those individuals must repay the outstanding loan balance within 90 days of the date when the TSP is notified of the separation by the employing agency. If payment is not made by that time a taxable distribution will be declared.
(Copyright 2010 by Federal News Radio. All Rights Reserved.)