Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
TSP's I Fund brings 'true diversification' to portfolio
Monday - 11/28/2011, 7:06pm EST
Federal News Radio
Your Thrift Savings Plan is probably home to the G Fund — and maybe the C Fund as well. But there's more to the TSP than just those two funds.
While the S and the C Funds cover the domestic stock market, the I Fund covers developed markets outside the United States. Specifically, the I Fund aims to match the performance of the Morgan Stanley Capital International EAFE (Europe, Australasia, Far East) Index, Trabucco said.
And it may be more familiar to investors because "it really has some differentiation in it," he said.
Risk to investors comes from both market changes and from increases in the value of the U.S. dollar. In other words, investors in the I Fund are "essentially betting against the strong dollar," Trabucco said.
The I Fund is the fifth largest fund — after the G, C, S and F Funds — with about $16 billion invested, he said.
The I Fund "gives you real, true diversification," Trabucco said. The C and the S Fund, because both cover the domestic market, tend to move together, he said. "But the I Fund, being an international fund, is distant from that."
Over the past year, all the funds had positive returns except for the I Fund, he said. This shows that the I Fund moves in different directions and at different times than other funds.
"It dances to a different drummer out there," he added.