Shows & Panels
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Connected Government
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Cyber Imperative
- Cyber Solutions for 2013 and Beyond
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- The Real Deal on Digital Government
- The Reality of Continuous Monitoring... Is Your Agency Secure?
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
How to invest in the TSP
Monday - 10/15/2012, 6:27am EDT
Jilek tells Leins and Elliott that he is "bullish" on the economy at this time. "If you look at the S&P companies, they're actually sitting on several trillion dollars in cash right now," Jilek says. "I don't think you've ever had a better chance for upside than currently with a fund like the C Fund."
Jilek also says he likes the L, for "lifecycle," funds, of which there are several, tailor-made to coincide with your own projected retirement date. There is the L Income Fund, which balances stocks and bonds in a way that is best suited for those who are about to retire or have recently done so. Then there are other L funds, for those who expect to retire in 2020, 2030, 2040 and 2050. Each is weighted in a way that assumes risk for those who are farther away from retirement and offers protection for those who are nearing it.
Jilek says that, if he were in federal service, "I would actually be in the L funds." He praises them for continually re-balancing the portfolio to match the investment strategy, something that is done, not just quarterly, but actually daily by chartered financial analysts working for the L funds.
Jilek also discusses the merits of taking a loan against your TSP savings.
For Your Benefit is broadcast live Mondays at 10:00 a.m. on Federal News Radio.