Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Will feds eye TSP as fast cash in shutdown?
Wednesday - 2/23/2011, 3:34pm EST
Tom Trabucco, director of external affairs at the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board, told host Francis Rose that withdrawing from the TSP means you have to time the market right twice - both when you take out the funds and when you put them back in.
"We just keep reminding people that it's a long-term investment in the TSP and these events are going to come and go," Trabucco said.
The TSP call center has started to receive inquiries about the potential shutdown, but the concern has not translated in fund activity. Trabucco said he has not noticed any increase in loans.
Although interfund transfers increased Tuesday, Trabucco said the jump was probably due to the three-day weekend and the stock market drop.
If you take out a loan, it's at the G Fund interest rate and you pay yourself back as though it were an investment in the G Fund, Trabucco said.
You can pay it back through payroll withholding, or loan payments can be sent in early and as partial payments. In the past, the only way to make payments was through payroll withholding, he said.