Michael Keegan - Host, The Business of Government Hour and Managing Editor, The Business of Government Magazine
Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
The Business of Government Radio Hour, hosted by Michael J. Keegan, features a conversation with a federal executive who is changing the way government does business. The executives discuss their careers and the management challenges facing their organizations. Guests include administrators, chief financial officers, chief information officers, chief operating officers, commissioners, controllers, directors, and undersecretaries.
Elizabeth McGrath Spearheads the Business Operations of the DoD
Monday - 10/3/2011, 12:52pm EDT
Ms. Elizabeth (Beth) A. McGrath was sworn in as the Department's first Deputy Chief Management Officer, a Senate-confirmed and politically appointed position, on July 1, 2010. Ms. McGrath leads the Department's efforts to better synchronize, integrate and coordinate DoD business operations and serves as the Principal Staff Assistant (PSA) and advisor to the Secretary and Deputy Secretary of Defense for matters relating to management and improvement of business operations. Ms. McGrath is focused on achieving sustainable and enduring improvements and efficiency and effectiveness in the Department's business related enterprise policies, processes and systems. She also serves as the DoD Performance Improvement Officer and is responsible for formulating the legislatively mandated Departmental Strategic Management Plan.
Ms. McGrath serves as the Milestone Decision Authority for numerous business-focused Major Automated Information Systems (MAIS) and also executes the Department's primary governance body for business transformation, the Defense Business System Management Committee; establishes performance goals and measurements for the Department's business operations; implements the Department's Continuous Process Improvement efforts; and is the Vice-Chair of the Performance Accountability Council that is responsible to the President to reform the government-wide security clearance process. Her responsibilities require extensive integration and coordination across the Department as well as with many Federal agencies, such as the Office of Management and Budget, Director for National Intelligence and the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Previously, Ms. McGrath served as the Deputy Director for Systems Integration, Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) where she created a financial migration strategy that was executed with a collective budget of approximately $1B. She managed the entire financial architecture supporting DoD-wide standard financial systems, integrating it with the Department's evolving target, enterprise architecture. Project scope included logistics, personnel, medical, acquisition and financial missions including many information technology solutions.
Prior to joining DFAS, Ms. McGrath served in a variety of program management roles culminating in Program Executive Office-level oversight responsibility. She possesses extensive knowledge of acquisition-related statutes, regulations and policies with over 20 years applied acquisition experience with Major Defense Acquisition Programs and MAIS. She served as the Business and Acquisition Manager on an international torpedo defense program with the United Kingdom and held numerous other financial, acquisition and program management positions within the Department of the Navy.
Ms. McGrath was awarded the Meritorious Executive Presidential Rank Award for Fiscal Year 2008 and the Office of the Secretary of Defense Exceptional Civilian Service Award in October 2008. She holds a bachelor's degree in Economics from George Mason University, is a graduate of the Federal Executive Institute, is certified Acquisition Level III in Program Management, Financial Management and Logistics and is a member of the DoD Acquisition Professional Community.