Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Wells show support for Mayor Gray's budget
Sunday - 4/3/2011, 11:44am EDT
WASHINGTON - Not every D.C. Council member likes the budget unveiled by Mayor Vince Gray Friday, but councilman Tommy Wells is showing some strong support for it.
"This budget that Vince Gray has submitted really seems to be not only balanced, but balance in the burden, so that we can have a great city," says Wells (D-Ward 6).
The budget cuts $113 million from social service programs and has $127 million in tax increases. Councilman Jack Evans (D-Ward 2) has called it one of the worst budgets he's ever seen.
Wells says the budget shares the burden across the city, from cutting public safety to raising taxes on those that make at least $200,000 a year.
"You know, we've taken some very serious budget cuts over the past two to three years, and the burden has not been shared."
Wells says he and his wife haven't been asked to pay extra in past years, while services to the disabled and foster care have been cut.
He is concerned about one thing. Gray's plan to increase the fare for the Circulator bus from $1 to $2.
"I'm not sure that's the right thing to do, I'm not sure that the Circulator should cost more than the [Metro] bus," says Wells.
WTOP's Veronica Robinson contributed to this report.
(Copyright 2011 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)