Shows & Panels
Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- American Readiness: Renewable Power and Efficiency Technologies
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Delivering the Digital Government Mission
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal News Radio's National Cyber Security Awareness Month Special Panel Discussion
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- Government Perspectives on Mobility and the Cloud
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- The New Generation of Database
- Reimagining the Next Generation of Government
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Online Chat: Ideas to Save the Failing Budget Process
Tuesday - 3/4/2014, 2:13pm EST
Former U.S. Comptroller General David Walker (now chairman of the GTI Coalition) and Connecticut State Representative Diana Urban join Federal News Radio for an online chat to discuss ideas to fix the federal budgeting process.
Since 1977, Congress has passed a full budget only four times by the scheduled deadline at the end of the fiscal year. Instead, continuing resolutions have been the name of the game. Since 1997 alone, over 90 different CRs have been passed in order to fund agencies.
So, what is it about the current budget process that leaves Congress and the President unable to meet their budget deadlines each year? And what needs to be fixed to establish an effective budget process?
In our special report, Now or Never: Ideas to Save the Failing Budget Process, Federal News Radio asks a host of experts, including Walker and Urban, for their opinions on how the budget process could be changed. (Read their individual columns by clicking the link above.)
In today's online chat, Walker and Urban discuss their ideas and answer your budget questions.
Walker explains what impact a two-year budget cycle could have on appropriations and oversight, and what benefits a capital budget, alongside an operating budget, might provide. Rep. Urban, famous in her state for championing results-based accountability, will discuss the idea that programs be funded based on an agency's ability to make them transparent, accountable and produce a beneficial result for citizens.
View an archived version of this chat below.
Having trouble accessing this online chat? Email Web Manager Julia Ziegler for assistance. By signing up to participate in this event, each registrant agrees to receive promotional and/or news alerts via email from Federal News Radio.