Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
DHS CFO Sherry heading to the IRS
Wednesday - 10/23/2013, 12:30pm EDT
The Homeland Security Department's CFO is heading to the IRS, the agency confirms.
Sherry will be the deputy commissioner for operations support, replacing Beth Tucker, who retired at the end of September.
"Peggy brings a strong track record and a diverse set of skills that will help her with this critical IRS leadership position," said acting IRS Commissioner Danny Werfel in a release. "Her expertise inside different government agencies on a wide portfolio of projects, coupled with her background in accounting, will work well heading the Operations Support organization."
In her new role, Sherry will direct IRS' support functions, including the CFO, human capital office, information technology, privacy and agencywide shared services.
The deputy commissioner is one of the top two positions at the IRS under the service's commissioner.
She becomes the fourth senior official to join the agency this year. Werfel became the acting commissioner in May after the scandal involving the IRS improperly singling out conservative groups for special scrutiny.
Todd Grams joined in June as the chief of staff and David Fisher joined in May as the chief risk officer.
Sherry joined DHS as the director of financial management in 2007, rose to be deputy CFO in 2008 and CFO by April 2012. Under her leadership, DHS received its first full-scope qualified audit opinion in 2012, and officials are hopeful the agency will receive its first unqualified audit opinion in 2013.
During her tenure, DHS continued to struggle to create a consolidated financial management system out of 13 separate systems. It now is on the path to modernize specific systems to act as shared service providers for the rest of the agency.
DHS said Chip Fulghum, the agency's budget director, will serve as interim CFO until a new one is named.