Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Coast Guard: Budget cuts to limit flights, patrols
Wednesday - 2/27/2013, 1:10pm EST
ALICIA A. CALDWELL
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Coast Guard commandant says the automatic budget cuts taking effect later this week would mean fewer flight hours for rescue helicopters and planes and fewer hours patrolling the seas for the service's boats and cutters.
Adm. Robert J. Papp said Wednesday that emergencies will be a priority. He didn't say how many patrol hours would be cut under what's known as sequestration. He said Coast Guard station commanders will be given daily allotments for patrol hours and decide how and where to spend them.
In a briefing with reporters, Papp acknowledged that interdictions of illegal immigrants, drugs and illegal fishing could decline.
In a speech earlier Wednesday, Papp told Coast Guard officers and employees to let him worry about the budget cuts and focus on their jobs.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.