Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Coast Guard: Budget cuts to limit flights, patrols
Wednesday - 2/27/2013, 1:10pm EST
ALICIA A. CALDWELL
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Coast Guard commandant says the automatic budget cuts taking effect later this week would mean fewer flight hours for rescue helicopters and planes and fewer hours patrolling the seas for the service's boats and cutters.
Adm. Robert J. Papp said Wednesday that emergencies will be a priority. He didn't say how many patrol hours would be cut under what's known as sequestration. He said Coast Guard station commanders will be given daily allotments for patrol hours and decide how and where to spend them.
In a briefing with reporters, Papp acknowledged that interdictions of illegal immigrants, drugs and illegal fishing could decline.
In a speech earlier Wednesday, Papp told Coast Guard officers and employees to let him worry about the budget cuts and focus on their jobs.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.