Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Social media's leadership challenges
Monday - 11/1/2010, 1:35pm EDT
The researchers wrote in the Harvard Business Review blog that when leaders lack social media skills, a mistake organizations make is to outsource community creation.
When community development is outsourced, the organization doesn't learn, Huy and Shipilov wrote. Social media may speed up communications and flatten hierarchies, but people in the organization are still communicating as they always have, the researchers pointed out.
"As a result, the company is often very different from the face it portrays online, which almost always gets discovered," according to the blog.
One solution is to bring in new leaders who understand social media. Organizations can also assign social media responsibilities to middle managers who understand the organization's issues.
However, use of collaboration tools does not always translate into a competitive advantage, the researchers found in their study. Huy and Shipilov are now studying why that's the case and how organizations can use social media to their advantage.
This story is part of our daily DorobekINSIDER Must Reads. Be sure to check out the full list of stories.