Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
McKinsey Column: Clouds, big data, and smart assets
Tuesday - 10/26/2010, 3:20pm EDT
Topping the list was the central role of organizing web communities for marketing and developing products. Seventy percent of executives surveyed for the report said their companies regularly created value through web communities.
The McKinsey team said the Internet has allowed organizations to expand access to experts from around the world, a phenomenon the team calls "tapping into a world of talent." Organizations still rely mostly on full-time employees, but this could limit their abilities to tackle more complex challenges, according to the report authors.
Another top ten trend is the use of IT for sustainability to create, for example, smart power grids, efficient buildings, and better logistics planning.
Having executives understand the trends are not enough; leaders must think strategically about how to adapt management and the organizational structure to the rapidly changing technology, according to the McKinsey team.
This story is part of our daily DorobekINSIDER Must Reads. Be sure to check out the full list of stories.