Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
McKinsey Column: Clouds, big data, and smart assets
Tuesday - 10/26/2010, 3:20pm EDT
Topping the list was the central role of organizing web communities for marketing and developing products. Seventy percent of executives surveyed for the report said their companies regularly created value through web communities.
The McKinsey team said the Internet has allowed organizations to expand access to experts from around the world, a phenomenon the team calls "tapping into a world of talent." Organizations still rely mostly on full-time employees, but this could limit their abilities to tackle more complex challenges, according to the report authors.
Another top ten trend is the use of IT for sustainability to create, for example, smart power grids, efficient buildings, and better logistics planning.
Having executives understand the trends are not enough; leaders must think strategically about how to adapt management and the organizational structure to the rapidly changing technology, according to the McKinsey team.
This story is part of our daily DorobekINSIDER Must Reads. Be sure to check out the full list of stories.