Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Monday - Friday, 6-9 a.m.
Host Tom Temin brings you the latest news affecting the federal community each weekday morning, featuring interviews with top government executives and contractors. Listen live from 6 to 9 a.m. or download archived interviews below.
Federal Drive Show Blog - January 23, 2014
Thursday - 1/23/2014, 9:59am EST
Chief Value Officer
Army Corps of Engineers
Army budgets promise to be lean for many years to come. But the Army Corps of Engineers has quietly controlled costs for a long time using value engineering. It's a cost-cutting technique outlined in Circular 131.
The Office of Federal Procurement Policy recently updated the guidance for the first time in 20 years. Jeffery Hooghouse is chief value officer at the Army Corps of Engineers.
Raytheon BBN Technologies
Speech-recognition technology is undergoing a sort of renaissance. One system that the Defense Department uses can locate, identify and translate information in at least 15 languages. And it does it in real time. The software is Byblos. Raytheon BBN Technologies makes it. Chief scientist John Makhoul explains how it works.
Petrillo & Powell
What happens when a big contract goes to a company which then splits in two? The losing bidder protests. That's what happened when NASA handed a $1.7 billion contract to SAIC for spaceflight services. Procurement attorney Joe Petrillo, of Petrillo & Powell, has more.
Federal News Radio
As agencies rush towards cloud computing, cybersecurity concerns temper their excitement. SafeGov, an industry organization, releases a white paper detailing specific steps that the federal CIO Council and the White House can take to move toward integration of all its cloud initiatives.
Karen Evans is a co-author of the report and a former Office of Management and Budget administrator for e-government and IT. She tells Executive Editor Jason Miller how to bring all the moving pieces together, so that government ends up with secure cloud services.
Federal News Radio
The chairman of the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee says he's been assured that the full Senate will soon take up a massive omnibus bill that veterans groups say is the most sweeping update to veterans benefits in modern memory. More from Federal News Radio's DoD reporter, Jared Serbu.