Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
DoD's budget reprogramming won't help with sequestration
Thursday - 5/9/2013, 5:14am EDT
Ashton Carter, deputy secretary of defense
Congress fixed the first problem by passing a budget in late March.
And DoD says it will use its limited authority to request budget reprogramming to help plug the hole in its overseas contingency account.
None of that flexibility will be used to mitigate the impacts of sequestration, said Ashton Carter, the deputy defense secretary.
"We'll be urging Congress to approve that reprogramming quickly, but it won't be enough," he told reporters at the National Press Club Tuesday afternoon. "We'll still have to make large cuts in training and maintenance, which are seriously harming readiness."
Under current law, DoD can ask for permission to shuffle around up to $7.5 billion within its $605 billion 2013 appropriation. Carter said the department would very much like Congress to increase that reprogramming cap, but it's not something DoD has formally requested since it would require Congress pass and the president sign new legislation.
Falling below acceptable readiness
In the meantime, all three military departments say sequestration is already harming military readiness.
Army Chief of Staff General Ray Odierno told the House Appropriations Committee Wednesday that two-thirds of non-deployed units will fall below acceptable readiness standards by the end of the year.
Army Chief of Staff General Ray Odierno
Among the Army's training cutbacks is the cancellation of seven of its 2013 combat training center rotations. Odierno said that while brigades headed to Afghanistan and South Korea in the short term will be fully trained, the Army will be less ready if it's asked to respond to a contingency in, for example, Syria.
"We always develop options so that we're prepared. We'll still develop those options, but they'll be higher-risk because of the reduction in readiness," he said. "The risk is in lives. We'll go, but if we're not as well trained, the cost will be more lives lost. We obviously want to avoid that."
Carter said the same is true in the other military services.
"What we're degrading is our capability to respond to the unforeseen. That's why this sequester thing is not only stupid, it's unsafe," he said.
DoD continues to believe the cuts required by sequestration are too large, and the Pentagon still desperately wants the across the board cuts to be abolished.
Asking for help
But now that the sequestration cuts are in place, senior leaders are imploring Congress for three things if they're to remain in place: flexibility to implement the cuts more intelligently, time to make their impacts less damaging and some degree of budget stability so that the military services can make strategic decisions about how to plan their spending.
Secretary of the Air Force Michael Donley
DoD's 2014 budget proposal assumed that sequestration would be resolved for 2014 and beyond. But last week, the chairman and the ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee asked DoD to assume the opposite and to report back on what a military operating under long-term sequestration budget levels would look like.
Carter said DoD is doing that as part of the strategic choices review Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel ordered last month. He said the review is roughly halfway finished and will consider a range of budget scenarios, including prolonged sequestration.
"Much as none of us might like that, we have to take seriously the possibility that what happened this year will happen again and again and again," he said. "It's in our DNA to get ready, even for things that we don't like. The product will be a clear delineation of the choices that we can make or might have to make, whether it's in force structure or investment or compensation or health care or in headquarters support or any of the other areas where we spend money. How can we do things differently in order to give the country the defense it needs for the amount of money we're going to get? That's the purpose of the review."