Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Austerity rules in Congress budget talks
Monday - 1/3/2011, 4:08pm EST
Republicans, who are taking over the majority in the House, are not expected to deliver a "blitz" of new legislation in the first few days, the Washington Post reports.
Instead, House GOP are expected to introduce two measures this week that the Wall Street Journal reports may have more symbolic meaning than anything else -- to repeal the health care bill and to cut $25 million out of running the House.
Federal austerity could especially impact the Washington, D.C., region, where federal government is the major industry. The Post reports that in 1995 the federal workforce shrunk for 32,000, and the "region felt the pain."
Amidst the budget back and forth is another debate -- Who will President Obama name to be his new chief economic adviser to replace Lawrence Summers? The president is expected to name a new adviser as soon as this week, the Post reports.
Among the top contenders are Gene Sperling, a veteran of the Clinton administration, Roger Altman, an investment banker, and Richard Levin, economist and president of Yale University.
This story is part of our daily DorobekINSIDER Must Reads. Be sure to check out the full list of stories.