Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Agencies release first sustainability scorecards
Tuesday - 4/19/2011, 5:25pm EDT
Federal News Radio
For the first time, federal agencies released their scorecards on energy sustainability.
As part of a 2009 executive order, President Obama called on agencies to develop plans to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
The scorecards provide a benchmark on agencies' progress to meet the mandate. Each agency will update its sustainability plan based on its scorecard performance, according to a joint statement from the Office of Management and Budget and the White House Council on Environmental Quality.
"To meet the President's ambitious energy and environmental goals, agencies need to know where they stand," said Nancy Sutley, chair of Council on Environmental Quality, in an emailed statement Tuesday. "The agency benchmarks established in these scorecards provide a useful measuring stick to help agencies stay on target to save billions in energy costs over the next decade."
How to read the scorecard
- Green = Success
- Yellow = Mixed results
- Red = Unsatisfactory
Three agencies - Treasury, Environmental Protection Agency and General Services Administration - had successful ratings across all categories.
Click here for agency sustainability plans and scorecards.
|Agency||Reduce emissions||Reduce energy intensity||Renewable energy||Reduce potable water intensity||Reduce fleet petroleum use||Green buildings|
|Health and Human Services||Green||Green||Green||Red||Green||Red|
|Housing and Urban Development||Green||Red||Green||Red||Green||N/A|
|Environmental Protection Agency||Green||Green||Green||Green||Green||Green|
|General Services Administration||Green||Green||Green||Green||Green||Green|
|Social Security Administration||Green||Red||Yellow||Red||Green||N/A|
|U.S. Army Corps of Engineers||Green||TBD||Red||TBD||Red||Red|